Find Statistics on how Children's Advocacy Centers of Washington are making a difference.
You can also find our CACWA outcome measurement system (OMS) report on this page
How many children do we help?
6,971 New children were served at a Washington Child Advocacy Center.
0-6 years 2,222
7-12 years 2,418
13-18 years 2,303
Types of Abuse Reported (a child may report more than one type of abuse so the total may exceed 100%):
Sexual abuse 4,791
Physical Abuse 1,267
Witness to Violence 220
Drug Endangered 153
Child Fatality 5
Number of Children Received Services Through a CAC:
Medical Exams/Treatment on site 1,413
Medical Exams/Treatment off site by referral or ER 538
Referral to Counseling/Therapy 2,588
Onsite Forensic Interviewing 3,427
Offsite Forensic Interviewing 215
Overall, it is believed that the number of sexual abuse cases is much larger than that reported. Darkness to Light, a national sexual abuse prevention organization, has compiled these statistics*:
- 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.