So Many Children!
Child Abuse Statistics in Washington State
The Child Welfare League of America estimates that there were 73,532 reports of child abuse in Washington State in 2004. Of those, 32,314 were investigated and 6,730 were substantiated. This represented an 11.8% increase over 2003.
Of substantiated cases, 80.1% were neglect, 18.9% were physical abuse, and 6.9% were sexual abuse.
It is believed that the number of sexual abuse cases is much larger than that reported to Child Protective Services. Darkness to Light, a national sexual abuse prevention organization, has compiled these statistics:
- 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.