So Many Children!
Child Abuse Statistics in Washington State
We take very seriously our mission to “stop abuse and begin the process of healing”. As you can see we continue to serve thousands of children each year who have suffered under the hand of abuse and neglect. Here is a snapshot of how many children and families we have helped during the months of July 2016 – June 2017.
6,402 new children were served at a WA Child Advocacy Center.
0-6 years 2,121
7-12 years 2,238
13-18 years 1,997
Types of Abuse Reported (a child may report more than one type of abuse so the total my exceed 100%):
Sexual abuse 4,124
Physical Abuse 1,267
Witness to Violence 195
Drug Endangered 133
Child Fatality 9
Number of Children Received Services Through a CAC:
Medical Exams/Treatment on site 1,166
Medical Exams/Treatment off site by referral or ER 750
Referral to Counseling/Therapy 2,684
Onsite Forensic Interviewing 3,028
Offsite Forensic Interviewing 192
Overall, it is believed that the number of sexual abuse cases is much larger than that reported. Darkness to Light, a national sexual abuse prevention organization, has compiled these statistics:
- 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.